Swvl is a revolutionary idea that was born from passion, loyalty, and persistence to face all challenges that come our way. It started with an observation turning into a realization; too many cars on the streets, wasting our limited resources: time, space, and money.
In 4 years Swvl became the first 1.5 billion unicorn in the Middle East to list on NASDAQ and currently the 2nd best-funded startup in the MENA region. With a presence and operations in up to 10 countries worldwide and a vision to be active on 6 continents.
Our main goal is not just to facilitate commuting, but a hunger to strive for solutions, encourage the contribution of youth in innovation, and inspire change.
We are looking for an engaged and enthusiastic Engineer to join our team of talented engineers that share a common interest in distributed systems, their scalability and continued development.
About Marketplace Tribe:
Marketplace is the platform that connects customers and captains. Our goal is to be reliable, profitable, and scalable. We do this by focusing on ETAs (Estimated Time of Arrivals), pricing, dispatching, supporting multiple choices of rides, and the network’s efficient coverage growth.
About the role:
An OR staff engineer is considered a subject matter expert with a very good grasp of the business and technical domains. A track record of end-to-end leadership of successful medium projects spanning several teams that impacts business or engineering KPIs. A great mentor who is able to push others in the right direction for their growth. Doesn't stop at blockers in execution and is able to unblock projects. Drives impactful changes against stability, quality, architecture and design. Takes initiative rather than wait for external motivation.
Responsibilities & Duties:
- Problem Discovery
- Works with business & product stakeholders to define OR project scope and requirements, and develops execution plans to achieve the project success criteria
- Translates business requirements into technical specifications (e.g. mathematical models)
- Solution Design
- Designs and implements solutions for complex transportation problems that requires mathematical optimization techniques like MILP, metaheuristics, approximation algorithms, constraint programming and other heuristic techniques
- Designs high-level systems for interrelated OR problems using sophisticated methods (e.g. multi-level programming)
- Analyzes different approaches to solve optimization problems and uses their technical expertise to decide which approach given optimality and performance trade-offs
- Leads and ships end-to-end OR projects of medium complexity from conceptualization to market release
- Works cross functionally with business, product and engineering teams
- Leads teams of OR scientists and engineers to deliver OR projects
- Mentors junior and senior OR scientists and engineers through code reviews, their growth plans, etc
- Oversees technical quality to ensure that it adheres to Swvl’s expectations for excellence without compromising the continuous delivery of business value
- Vision & Strategy
- Sets future directions that have good potential for different OR projects to deliver high value given their technical expertise
- Formulates and contributes to identifying Swvl’s short-term and long-term problems
- Plans short-term and long-term technical roadmaps for OR projects
- Experience in transportation domain is a huge plus
- BSc. in Computer Science, Engineering or operations research, applied mathematics or a relevant field.
- 8+ years of industry experience is preferred.
- Knowledge of advanced algorithms and optimization theory.
- Background in data science: data analysis, machine-learning methods, statistical modeling, and testing is a plus
- Strong problem-solving and analytical skills
- Experience in reading research papers, publishing and doing literature reviews
- Creative and outside the box thinking
- Ability to apply knowledge in real-life problems
- Very good reasoning and logical thinking
- Excellent communication and business acumen skills
- Sufficient coding and design concepts. Knowledge of programming languages as python.