Swvl is a revolutionary idea that was born from passion, loyalty, and persistence to face all challenges that come our way. It started with an observation turning into a realization; too many cars on the streets, wasting our limited resources: time, space and money.
Our main goal is not just to facilitate commuting, but a hunger to strive for solutions, encourage the contribution of youth in innovation and inspire change. In 2 years Swvl started operating in 6 cities across 3 countries; Cairo & Alexandria in Egypt, Nairobi in Kenya, and Lahore, Karachi & Islamabad in Pakistan.
We are looking for an engaged and enthusiastic Principal Backend Engineer to join our team of talented engineers that share a common interest in distributed backend systems, their scalability and continued development.
What You Will be Doing
● Influence and contribute to Swvl’s platform & system architecture.
● Drive best engineering practices within your team and the backend chapter.
● Work hands-on in a team.
● Contribute to the vision and long-term strategy of the backend chapter.
● Design, develop, deploy and operate microservices that serve millions of users.
● Debug and solve complex issues by translating business problems into technical solutions.
● Mentor and teach fellow engineers, and deeply engage with the team on how they can increase their impact as citizens of Swvl engineering.
● Create frameworks and abstractions that are reliable, reusable and avoid surprising outcomes.
● Identify and solve major architectural problems by going deep in your field or broad across different teams.
What You Will Need
● 10+ years of experience developing, shipping and maintaining web/mobile applications and systems
● BS in Computer Science or a related technical field or equivalent practical experience.
● Strong leadership experience: Leading meetings, presenting, technical go-to person and cross-functional leader
● Excellent communication skills: Demonstrated ability to explain complex technical issues to both technical and non-technical audiences
● Have experience in mentoring and supporting peers and engineering teams, fostering best engineering practices.
● Understanding of software design patterns
● Experience writing NodeJS, Go, Java or Python
● Deep understanding of relational, SQL, NoSQL databases and database design
● Experience working in a microservices environment
● Experience working with containers and container orchestration
● Experience working with GraphQL, gRPC, Kafka or Kubernetes is a plus
What We Offer
● Great opportunity to be part of a start-up with a lot of responsibility and independence early on and where you will have an impact on the entire business